Compendium of U.S. Health Systems, 2018
The Compendium of U.S. Health Systems is composed of 637 U.S. health systems, defined in this analysis to include at least one hospital and at least one group of physicians providing comprehensive care, and who are connected with each other and with the hospital through common ownership or joint management.
March 2021 Update: New variables have been added to the compendium, including system-level counts of nurses and nursing homes, system ownership of insurance products, and system participation in alternative payment model programs. Refer to the compendium technical documentation for more details.
The Compendium database includes:
- Columns A-D: System identification number (a unique number assigned by AHRQ), name, home office city, and State.
- Columns E-H: Indicators of which data source identified the health system and health system identification numbers in the originating data source.
- Columns I-T: Total counts of system hospitals, physician groups, physicians, primary care physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, nursing homes, and the extent to which systems own or manage hospitals in multiple States, total acute care beds, discharges, and residents.
- Columns U-AL: Variables identifying the extent to which systems include investor-owned hospitals, serve children, include teaching hospitals, and serve a disproportionately high share of low-income and uninsured individuals, offer insurance products, and participate in alternative payment model programs.
If you would like to report a possible data discrepancy, please email CHSP@ahrq.hhs.gov.
2018 Compendium Files
- All Compendium Files (updated January 2021; ZIP, 10.2 MB)
- Excel File—Your computer should automatically prompt you to open the file in a spreadsheet application to view the data.
- Hospital Linkage File—We recommend that Excel users download only the Excel version of the file. If Excel is used to open the CSV file, the program will automatically drop the zeros in fields with leading zeros.
- Group Practice Linkage File—A new data file added to AHRQ's Compendium of U.S. Health Systems identifies 39,103 physician group practices and shows which are part of health systems. Two versions are available. We recommend that Excel users download only the Excel version. If Excel is used to open the CSV file, the program will automatically drop the zeros in fields with leading zeros.
- Technical Documentation
- Technical Documentation Report (updated January 2021; PDF, 4.2 MB)
- Compendium Hospital Linkage File, Technical Documentation (PDF, 819.5 KB)
- Appendix A. Non-Federal General Acute Care Flag (PDF, 195 KB)
- Appendix B. Data Dictionary – Hospital Linkage File (PDF, 203 KB)
- Group Practice Linkage File, Technical Documentation (PDF, 749 KB)