Compendium of U.S. Health Systems
The Compendium of U.S. Health Systems is composed of 637 U.S. health systems, defined in this analysis to include at least one hospital and at least one group of physicians providing comprehensive care, and who are connected with each other and with the hospital through common ownership or joint management.
The Compendium database includes:
- Columns A-D: System identification number (a unique number assigned by AHRQ), name, home office city, and State.
- Columns E-H: Indicators of which data source identified the health system and health system identification numbers in the originating data source.
- Columns I-Q: Total counts of system hospitals, physician groups, physicians, primary care physicians, extent to which systems own or manage hospitals in multiple States, total acute care beds, discharges, and residents.
- Columns R-Y: Variables identifying the extent to which systems include investor-owned hospitals, serve children, include teaching hospitals, and serve a disproportionately high share of low-income and uninsured individuals.
If you would like to report a possible data discrepancy, please email CHSP@ahrq.hhs.gov.
- Snapshot of U.S. Health Systems, 2016 (PDF, 256 KB)
- U.S. Health System Characteristics, 2016 (PDF, 904 KB)
- Variation in Health System Characteristics Across States, 2016 (PDF, 1.14 MB)
- Health System Participation in Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs), 2016 (PDF, 158 KB)
- Provider-Offered Insurance Products Among U.S. Health Systems, 2016 (PDF, 218 KB)
- Health System Participation in Medicare Bundled Payment Models, 2016 (PDF, 389 KB)
- Provider-Offered Medicare Advantage Plans Among U.S. Health Systems, 2016 (PDF, 225 KB)
More information about the definition of health systems and the methodology used in developing the Compendium:
- Compendium Hospital Linkage File, Technical Documentation, 2018 (PDF, 549 KB)
- Compendium Hospital Linkage File, Technical Documentation, 2016 (PDF, 344 KB)
- Technical Documentation Report, 2018 (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Technical Documentation Report, 2016 (PDF, 1.96 MB)
- Other definitions being used by AHRQ Centers of Excellence