Flowchart of a urinary catheter decision-making algorithm.
Diamond: Is there a urinary catheter in place?
Curved rectangle: Avoid catheter placement.
Diamond: Does the patient meet criteria for catheter placement:
Curved rectangle: Contact physician to remove urinary catheter!
Accepted Urinary Catheter Placement Indications
- Acute urinary retention or obstruction
- Perioperative use in selected surgeries
- Assistance in healing of severe perineal and sacral wounds in incontinent patients
- Hospice/comfort care/palliative care
- Required strict immobilization for trauma or surgery
- Accurate measurement of urinary output in the critically ill patients (intensive care)
Curved rectangle: Assess patient daily for possibility of catheter removal.