Instructional Handouts for Staff and Patients
The Toolkit for Decolonization of non-ICU Patients With Devices provides several instructional handouts to train staff and teach patients about the decolonization protocol. Using staff handouts can ensure standardized and efficient training. Providing patients with handouts they can read before bathing time can answer questions and save nursing time.
To implement the decolonization protocol, handouts based on the Active Bathing to Eliminate (ABATE) Infection Trial1 and those based on alternative approaches are provided. Hospitals should use the handouts appropriate to the protocol option they choose to implement. Handouts in this toolkit are provided in PDF versions as well as editable versions that allow hospitals to customize the documents to suit their needs.
- 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate (CHG) Cloth Bathing (PDF, 288 KB; Word, 205 KB)
- CHG Showering (PDF, 268 KB; Word, 168 KB)
- Basin Bed Bathing With CHG Liquid (diluted to 2%) (PDF, 344 KB; Word, 195 KB)
- Nasal Mupirocin (PDF, 318 KB; Word, 230 KB)
- Nasal Iodophor (povidone-iodine as alternative nasal agent) (PDF, 265 KB; Word, 165 KB)
- Dos and Don’ts Factsheet (PDF, 231 KB; Word, 191 KB)
- CHG Bathing (PDF, 273 KB; Word, 200 KB)
- CHG Showering Poster (PDF, 217 KB; Word, 175 KB)
- CHG Bathing Reminder Wall Cling (PDF, 535 KB; Word, 472 KB)
- Huang SS, Septimus E, Kleinman K, et al. Chlorhexidine versus routine bathing to prevent multi drug-resistant organisms and all-cause bloodstream infection in general medical and surgical units: the ABATE Infection Cluster Randomized Trial. Lancet. 2019 Mar 23;393(10177):1205-15. PMID: 30850112.