Staff Training Documents and Video Links
This toolkit provides several training documents and videos for educating staff about the decolonization protocol. These include just-in-time training documents for rapid training of staff providing temporary coverage, and computer-based training modules for more formalized training of staff. The post-test questions and answers can be used to confirm the adequacy of learning.
Training materials for implementing decolonization based on the Active Bathing to Eliminate (ABATE) Infection Trial1 and on alternative approaches are provided. Hospitals should use the training materials appropriate to the protocol option that they choose to implement. Staff training videos also are provided.
Training documents in this toolkit are provided in PDF versions as well as editable versions that allow hospitals to customize the documents to suit their needs.
Just in Time Training (for training temporary coverage staff):
- CHG Cloth and Mupirocin (PDF, 261 KB; Word, 181.8 KB)
- CHG Liquid and Mupirocin (PDF, 262.6 KB; Word, 179.8 KB)
- CHG Cloth and Iodophor (PDF, 268.6 KB; Word, 186 KB)
- CHG Liquid and Iodophor (PDF, 266.8 KB; Word, 181.5 KB)
Computer-Based Training Modules (for training all staff):
- Bed Bathing With 2% No-Rinse Chlorhexidine (CHG) Cloths and Showering With 4% Rinse-Off CHG Liquid Soap (PDF, 868.8 KB; PPT, 4.7 MB)
- Basin Bed Bathing With 2% Chlorhexidine (CHG) and Showering With 4% CHG Liquid Soap (PDF, 836.2 KB; PPT, 4.7 MB)
- Nasal Mupirocin (PDF, 436 KB; PPT, 4 MB)
- Nasal Iodophor (PDF, 432.6 KB; PPT, 4 MB)
Computer-Based Training Post-Training Tests and Answer Keys:
- Bed Bathing With 2% No-Rinse Chlorhexidine (CHG) Cloths and Showering With 4% Rinse-Off CHG Liquid Soap (PDF, 252 KB; Word, 276.6 KB)
- Basin Bed Bathing With 2% Chlorhexidine (CHG) and Showering With 4% CHG Liquid Soap (PDF, 256.3 KB; Word, 275.8 KB)
- Nasal Mupirocin (PDF, 239.7 KB; Word, 276.6 KB)
- Nasal Iodophor (PDF, 241.3 KB; Word, 274.6 KB)
Staff Training Videos (Noneditable):
- ABATE Toolkit: Overview (13 minutes, 4 seconds)
- ABATE Toolkit: Cleaning Central and Midline Catheters With CHG (4 minutes, 20 seconds)
- ABATE Toolkit: Cleaning Lumbar Drains With CHG (4 minutes)
The videos are also located on the Staff Training Videos page of this toolkit.
- Huang SS, Septimus E, Kleinman K, et al. Chlorhexidine versus routine bathing to prevent multi drug-resistant organisms and all-cause bloodstream infection in general medical and surgical units: the ABATE Infection Cluster Randomized Trial. Lancet. 2019 Mar 23;393(10177):1205-15. PMID: 30850112.