Guide to Improving Patient Safety in Primary Care Settings by Engaging Patients and Families
Evidence-Based Strategies To Engage Patients and Families To Improve Patient Safety
This Guide is composed of four evidence-based strategies that promote meaningful engagement with patients and families in ways that affect safety.
Each strategy contains practical materials to support adoption of the intervention within primary care practices.The materials include strategy-specific implementation and evaluation guidance, training materials and job aids, and patient-facing materials.
- Be Prepared To Be Engaged:
- Facilitates visit agenda setting for patients and clinicians.
- Improves visit efficiency and safety and promotes effective communication.
- Create a Safe Medicine List Together:
- Creates a complete and accurate medicine list, which is the first line of defense against medication errors.
- Leads to improved patient outcomes, adherence, and safety.
- Improves commuication and health literacy.
- Ensures the effective transfer of information shared with patients.
- Warm Handoff Plus:
- Promotes collaborative communication, engaging the patient as part of the team.
- Supports handoff within the practice to reduce communication drops during transitions.
Need help figuring out which strategy is right for you?
Page originally created April 2018