About AHRQ's Quality & Patient Safety Work
AHRQ is the lead federal agency for patient safety research. We invest in research and implementation projects that make care safer by bridging the gap between basic and clinical research and the actual health care that reaches patients. Our projects accelerate learning and innovation in health care delivery, which helps to speed the uptake of proven practices at the bedside. We also develop research-based tools and resources to help front line clinicians understand "what" to do to make care safer and "how" to go about it. These tools and resources are developed for clinicians by clinicians, so they are practical and based on real-world experiences.
The AHRQ Patient Safety Research program is conducted through the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (CQuIPS). CQuIPS is charged with:
- Conducting and supporting user-driven research on patient safety and health care quality measurement, reporting, and improvement.
- Developing and disseminating reports and information on health care quality measurement, reporting, and improvement.
- Collaborating with stakeholders across the health care system to implement evidence-based practices, accelerating and amplifying improvements in quality and safety for patients.
- Assessing its own practices to ensure continuous learning and improvement for the Center and its members.
The following AHRQ Programs are based in CQuIPS:
- Patient Safety Research Program.
- Healthcare-Associated Infections Program.
- The Patient Safety Organization Program.
- The National Healthcare Quality & Disparities Report Program.
- The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems Program.
- Surveys on Patient Safety Culture Program.
Jeffrey Brady, M.D., MPH, former Director of CQuIPS, served as co-chair of the National Steering Committee for Patient Safety with Tejal Gandhi, M.D., Senior Fellow, Institute for Healthcare Improvement; and Chief Safety and Transformation Officer, Press Ganey Associates
To learn about AHRQ's patient safety work, connect with Erin Grace, Acting Director of CQUiPs.
Read Impact Case Studies to see how clinicians in the field are using the results of AHRQ's patient safety investments.
Find out what funding opportunities are available from AHRQ to do patient safety research.