Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection Surveillance
- National Healthcare Safety Network Data Reporting Web site
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) provides long-term care facilities with a system to track CAUTI and other infections in a streamlined and systematic way.
- Long-Term Care National Healthcare Safety Network Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection Surveillance Assessment tool (Word, 252.4 KB; Text Version)
A tool that combines a resident's health assessment and laboratory findings to give guidance on whether an infection episode meets NHSN criteria.
- Quantitative Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection-Related Data Definitions Tool (PDF, 373 KB; Text Version)
A visual guide on a select set of measures to consider when measuring performance to reduce CAUTIs, with a sample of these measures and explanations of what and how to collect the data.
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection-Related Data Collection Tool (Excel, 74.1 KB; Text Version)
A spreadsheet that auto-calculates the indwelling urinary catheter utilization ratio, CAUTI rate, and urine culture collection rate based on resident days, catheter days, CAUTIs identified, and urine culture data you input into the tool.
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection Case Review Form (Word, 299.4 KB; Text Version)
A performance improvement look-back tool to assist long-term care facilities with identifying possible resident care issues that might have contributed to a CAUTI.
- National Healthcare Safety Network Definition Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection Criteria Pocket Card (PowerPoint, 457 KB; Text Version)
A handy pocket card to help frontline and clinical long-term care staff identify CAUTIs based on the CDC's NHSN criteria.