The Center of Excellence for Pediatric Quality Measurement (CEPQM) team prepared several resources that can be used by other organizations and institutions using the Child HCAHPS survey. Links to these resources are available below:
Tools for Preparing for, Fielding, and Analyzing Child the HCAHPS Survey
- Sample Notification Letters (PDF, 358 KB): Sample letters, emails, and reminder postcards about the Child HCAHPS survey that hospitals can customize for their own use. Materials are available in English and Spanish.
- Survey Instrument: Available in an English version (PDF, 725 KB) and a Spanish version (PDF, 757 KB).
- Sample Telephone Script (PDF, 450 KB): Instructions for vendors and for interviewers administering the survey. Materials are available in English and Spanish.
- Day of Discharge Survey Administration (PDF, 317 KB): Instructions for administering the survey in-person on the patient’s day of discharge.
- CAHPS Macro (Zipped file, 107 KB): The CAHPS Analysis Program for SAS contains a macro that allows the user to apply the case mix adjustment variables. This macro is the same one referenced in the Preparing Data from CAHPS Surveys for Analysis resource (PDF, 246 KB).
- Translating the Survey (PDF, 324 KB): The survey instrument is patient-reported and this document provides general guidance for translating results into languages other than English and Spanish.
Published Articles About Child HCAHPS Survey Development
The Development of a Pediatric Inpatient Experience of Care Measure: Child HCAHPS (Pediatrics) (PDF, 380 KB)
Variation in Family Experience of Pediatric Inpatient Care As Measured by Child HCAHPS (Pediatrics) (PDF, 846 KB)
Factors Associated With Family Experience in Pediatric Inpatient Care (Pediatrics) (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Improving Response Rates and Representation of Hard-to-Reach Groups in Family Experience Surveys (Academic Pediatrics) (PDF, 103 KB)