Re-Engineered Discharge (RED) Toolkit
Tool 4 (continued)
Table of Contents
- U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Population Projections. Available at: http://www.census.gov/population/projections/. Accessed February 6, 2013.
- Spehar AM, Campbell RR, Cherrie C, et al. Seamless care: safe patient transitions from hospital to home. Advances in patient safety: from research to implementation. Vol. 1, Research findings. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; February 2005. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK20459/. Accessed August 1, 2012.
- Ember CR, Ember MR. Cultural anthropology, 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007.
- Kleinman A. Culture, illness, and care. Ann Intern Med 1978;88:251-8.
- Johnstone MJ, Kanitsaki O. Culture, language, and patient safety: making the link. Int J Qual Health Care 2006;18(5):383-8.
- Kleinman A, Eisenberg L, Byron G. Culture, illness, and care: clinical lessons from anthropologic and cross-cultural research. J Lifelong Learning Psych 2006;6(1):140-9.
- 2009 American Community Survey 1-year estimates, language spoken at home. Suitland, MD: U.S. Census Bureau; 2009. Available at http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. Accessed January 30, 2011.
- Divi C, Koss RG, Schmaltz S, et al. Language proficiency and adverse events in U.S. hospitals: a pilot study. Int J Qual Health Care 2007;19(2):60-67.
- Lindholm M, Hargraves JL, Ferguson, WJ, et al. Professional language interpretation and inpatient length of stay and readmission rates. J Gen Intern Med 2012 Apr 18 [epub ahead of print].
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: understanding and improving health, 2nd ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; November 2000.
- America's health literacy: why we need accessible health information. an issue brief from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2008. Available at: http://www.health.gov/communication/literacy/issuebrief/. Accessed August 1, 2012.
- Baker DW, Gazmararian JA, Williams MV, et al. Functional health literacy and the risk of hospital admission among Medicare managed care enrollees. Am J Public Health 2002 Aug;92(8):1278-83.
- Baker DW, Parker RM, Williams MV, et al. Health literacy and the risk of hospital admission. J Gen Intern Med 1998 Dec;13(12):791-8. Available at: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1497036/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- "What did the doctor say?": improving health literacy to protect patient safety. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: The Joint Commission; 2007. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/improving_health_literacy.pdf [Plugin Software Help]. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Minority Health. National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services. Available at: http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Advancing effective communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: The Joint Commission; 2010. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/ARoadmapforHospitalsfinalversion727.pdf [Plugin Software Help]. Accessed June 29, 2012.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. Guidance to federal financial assistance recipients regarding Title VI prohibition against national origin discrimination affecting limited English proficient persons. 68 Fed. Reg 47311-02; August 2, 2008. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/civilrights/resources/specialtopics/lep/factsheetguidanceforlep.html. Accessed August 1, 2012.
- Flores G. Language barriers to health care in the United States. New Engl J Med 2006;355(3):229-31.
- Office of Minority Health. A patient-centered guide to implementing language access services in health care organizations. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; September 2005. Available at: http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlID=107. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Speaking Together Toolkit. Available at: http://www.rwjf.org/qualityequality/product.jsp?id=29653 . Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Hasnain-Wynia R., Pierce D., Haque A., et al. Health Research and Educational Trust disparities toolkit. 2007. Available at: http://www.hretdisparities.org . Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Volandes AE, Paasche-Orlow MK. Health literacy, health inequality, and a just health care system. Am J Bioeth 2007 Nov;7(11):5-10.
- Paasche-Orlow MK, Wolf MS. Evidence does not support clinical screening of literacy. J Gen Intern Med 2008 Jan;23(1):100-2. Epub 2007 Nov 9.
- Kleinman A, Benson P. Anthropology in the clinic: the problem of cultural competency and how to fix it. PLoS Med 2006 Oct;3(10):e294.
- Branch WT. The ethics of caring and medical education. Acad Med 2000;75:127-32.
- Paasche-Orlow M. The ethics of cultural competence. Acad Med 2004 Apr;79(4):347-50.
- Quan, K. The high cost of language barriers in medical malpractice. Berkeley: National Health Law Program, University of California; 2010.
- Language, culture, and medical tragedy: the case of Willie Ramirez. Health Affairs Blog 2008 Nov 19. Available at: http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2008/11/19/language-culture-and-medical-tragedy-the-case-of-willie-ramirez/. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Mitchell SE, Paasche-Orlow MK, Forsythe SR, et al. Postdischarge hospital utilization among adult medical inpatients with depressive symptoms. J Hosp Med 2010 Sep;5(7):378-84.
- Kirmayer LJ. Cultural variations in the clinical presentation of depression and anxiety: implications for diagnosis and treatment. J Clin Psychiatry 2001;62 Suppl 13:22-28; discussion 29-30. Review.
- Kirmayer LJ, Groleau D. Affective disorders in cultural context. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2001 Sep;24(3):465-78, vii.
- Crosby SS, Norredam M, Paasche-Orlow MK, et al. Prevalence of torture survivors among foreign-born patients presenting to an urban ambulatory care practice. J Gen Intern Med 2006 Jul;21(7):764-8.
- Central Intelligence Agency. World Factbook. Available at: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/. Accessed June 8, 2012.
Page last reviewed March 2013
Page originally created March 2013
Page originally created March 2013
Internet Citation: Tool 4 (continued). Content last reviewed March 2013. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/hospital/red/toolkit/redtool4ref.html