The Falls Management Program: A Quality Improvement Initiative for Nursing Facilities
Appendix A. References and Equipment Sources
Table of Contents
Chapter 5. Information and Training for Staff, Primary Care Providers, and Residents and their Families
On This Page
Section 1: References
Training Manuals, Videos, and Books
- Bochino, N., Strumpf, N., & Capezuti, E. et al. (1999). Restraint Reduction and Fall Prevention. Nashville, TN: Envision, Inc. 1111 16th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37212. Cost of videotape $245. 615-321-5066; fax: 615-321-5119 or http://www.envisioninc.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47.
- Jones, D., Rader, J., & Miller, L. (1998). Individualized Wheelchair Seating: For Older Adults. Tigard, OR: Providence Center on Aging. 11308 SW 68th Parkway, Suite 125, Tigard, OR 97223. Cost of caregiver guide videotape (Part I) $75. Cost of professional guide videotape (Part II) $85. Cost of both guides $145. 503-216-6968.
- Rader, J. (1995). Individualized Dementia Care: Creative Compassionate Approaches. New York: Springer Publishing. 536 Broadway, N.Y., NY 10012-3955. Cost $41.95. 212-431-4370 or http://www.springerpub.com/
- Retrain Don't Restrain. American Health Care Association, P.O. Box 3161, Frederick, MD 21705-3161. Cost for members $74, nonmembers $104. 1-800-321-0343 or http://www.ahca.org/store/
- Strumpf, N.E., Robinson, J., Wagner, J., & Evans, L. (1998). Restraint Free Care: Individualized Approaches for Frail Elders. New York: Springer Publishing. 536 Broadway, N.Y., NY 10012-3955. $29.99. 212-431-4370 or http://www.springerpub.com/
- Taylor, J.A., Brown, A.K., Meredith, S., & Ray, W.A. (2002). The Fall Reduction Program. Asheville, NC: Jo A Taylor Consulting, Asheville, NC. 828-654-8127 or http://joataylor.com/. Call for pricing of videotape.
- Tideiksaar, R. (2002). Falls in Older Persons: Prevention and Management. (3rd ed.) Baltimore: Health Professions Press. $25.95. 1-888-337-8808 or www.healthpropress.com
Professional and Other Guidelines and Journal Articles
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Making Health Care Safer: A Critical Analysis of Patient Safety Practices. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://archive.ahrq.gov/clinic/tp/ptsaftp.htm
- Becker, C., Kron, M., Lindemann, U., Sturm, E., Eichner, B., Walter-Jung, B., & Nikolaus, T. (2003). Effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention on falls in nursing home patients. JAGS 51, 306-313.
- Capezuti, E. & Talerico, K.A. (1999). Review article: Physical restraint removal, falls and injuries. Research and Practice in Alzheimer's Disease 2, 338-355.
- Capezuti, E., Talerico, K.A., Cochran, I., Becker, H., Strumpf, N., & Evans, L. (1999). Individualized interventions to prevent bed-related falls and reduce siderail use. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 25(11), 26-34.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC). Falls in Nursing Homes. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Falls/nursing.html
- Cumming, R.G. (2002). Intervention strategies and risk-factor modification for falls prevention: A review of recent intervention studies. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine 18, 175-189.
- Donius, M. & Rader, J. (1994). Use of siderails: Rethinking a standard practice. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 20(11), 23-27.
- Falls and Fall Risk: Clinical Practice Guidelines. (1998). American Medical Directors Association. Cost for members $20.00. Cost for non-members $30.00. http://www.amda.com/info/cpg/falls.htm
- Guideline for the prevention of falls in older persons. American Geriatric Society, British Geriatrics Society, and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Panel on Falls Prevention. (2001). Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 49(5), 664-672.
- Institute of Medicine. (2000). To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://books.nap.edu/catalog/9728.html
- Jensen J., Lundin-Olsson, L., Nyberg, L., & Gustafson, Y. (2002). Fall and injury prevention in older people living in residential care facilities. Annals of Internal Medicine, 136, 733-740.
- Jones D. (1995). Real solutions. Team Rehabilitation Report, September, 14 -16.
- Quality Indicators for Assessing Care of Vulnerable Adults (ACOVE). Quality Indicators for the Management and Prevention of Falls and Mobility Problems in Vulnerable Elders. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/137/6/546
- Rader, J., Jones, D., & Miller, L. (2000). The importance of individualized wheelchair seating for frail older adults. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 26(11), 24-32.
- Ray, W.A., Taylor, J.A., Meador, K.G., Purushottam, B.T., Brown, A.K., Kajihara, H.K., Davis, C., Gideon, P.T., & Griffin, M.R. (1997). A randomized trial of a consultation service to reduce falls in nursing homes. Journal of the American Medical Association 278(7), 557-562.
- Rubenstein, L.Z. (1997). Preventing falls in the nursing home. Journal of the American Medical Association 278(7), 595-596.
- Taylor, J.A. (2002). The Vanderbilt fall prevention program for long-term care: Eight years of field experience with nursing home staff. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association May/June, 180-185.
- The Hospital Bed Safety Workgroup. Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff: Hospital Bed System Dimensional Guidance to Reduce Entrapment. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/ucm072662.htm Note: Final guidance now on the FDA Web Site.
- The Veterans Administration National Center for Patient Safety. Retrieved, from the World Wide Web: http://www.patientsafety.gov/
- Werner, P., Koroknay, V., Braun, J., & Cohen-Mansfield, J. (1994). Individualized care alternatives used in the process of removing physical restraints in the nursing home. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 42, 321-325.
Section 2: Equipment
- "Ambularm," Alert Care, Inc., 591 Redwood Hwy, Suite 2125, Mill Valley, CA 94941, 1-800-826-7444
- "Bed Check" Corporation, P.O. Box 170, Tulsa, OK 74101, 1-800-523-7956
- "Code Alert," R.F. Technologies, 3125 N. 126th Street, Brookfield, WI 53005, 1-800-669-9946
- Nurse Assist, Inc., 5650 Stratum Dr., Fort Worth, TX 76137, 1-800-727-1868
- Smart Caregiver Corporation, 1205 North McDowell Blvd., Petaluma, CA 94954, 1-800-650-3637
- "Tabs Mobility Monitor" and "Wander Guard," Senior Technologies, 1620 N. 20th Circle, P.O. Box 80238, Lincoln, NE 68503, 1-800-824-2996
- "Stopper Kit," Clock Medical Supplies, P.O. Box 620, Winfield, KS 67156, 1-800-527-0049
- Graham Field Medical Products, 2935 NE Parkway, Suite C, Atlanta, GA 30360, 1-800-347-5678
Bed Wheel Locks
- ALCO Sales and Service, 6851 High Grove Blvd., Burr Ridge, IL 60527, 1-800-323-4282
- Basic American Metal Products, 336 Trowbridge Drive, P.O. Box 907, Fond du Lac, WI 54937, 1-800-365-2338
- Casters Supply, 1780 Eastbridge Road, Rochester, NY 14622, 1-800-280-9566
- Myers, Truck and Caster Sales Co., 745 Douglas Avenue, Nashville, TN 37207, 1-800-321-6732
- NOA Medical Industries, 801 Terry Lane, Washington, MO 63090, 1-800-633-6068
- Phoenix Textile Corporation, 13652 Lakefront Drive, St. Louis, MO 63045, 1-800-325-1440
- Simmons Healthcare, 2935 NE Parkway, Suite A, Atlanta, GA 30360-2048, 1-800-334-8203
- Flaghouse, Inc., 601 Flaghouse Drive, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604-3116, 1-800-793-7900
- Merriwalker Advanced Health Systems, 561 East Hines Hill Road, Hudson, OH 44236, 1-800-628-1441
- "Ultimate Walker," Direct Supply, 6767 North Industrial Road, Milwaukee, WI 53223, 1-800-634-7328
- Slippers such as Dearfoams come in a variety of styles and have a rubber sole with tread. They can be purchased at most department stores. Less expensive styles which have tread are found at discount stores.
- Socks with non-skid tread can be purchased at discount and department stores. In some areas, these socks are sold on a seasonal basis during the winter months.
- Walking shoes, tennis shoes, and athletic shoes can be found at department and discount stores.
- Grainger, 1938 Elm Tree Drive, Nashville, TN 37210-3718, (615) 885-0332
- Sears Health and Wellness Catalog, 7700 Brush Hill Road, Suite 240, Burr Ridge, IL 60527, 1-800-326-1750
- Total Care, P.O. Box 1661, Rockville, MD 20849, 1-800-334-3802
- FallGard, 613 Alexander Drive, Naperville, IL 60567-2107, 1-800-828-0702
- The HipSaver Company, 7 Hubbard Street, Canton, MA 02021, 1-800-358-4477
- Direct Supply, Inc., 6767 North Industrial Road, Milwaukee, WI 53223, 1-800-634-7328
- Crest Healthcare, 195 S. 3rd Street, P.O. Box 727, Dassel, MN 55325, 1-800-328-8908
- "Bed Bar," Brown Engineering Corp., 289 Chesterfield Road, Westhampton, MA 01027, 1-800-726-4233
- National Industries, 2727 Philmont Avenue, Unit 340, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006, 1-800-220-2024
Wheelchairs, Seating Items, and Related Equipment
- Adaptive Engineering Lab, Inc. (seating items), 17907 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek, WA 98012, 1-800-327-6080
- Ali-Med, Inc. (seating items, D-ring straps and other supplies), 297 High Street Dedham, MA 02026, 1-800-225-2610
- Body Point Designs (seat belts), 558 1st Avenue South, Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98104, 1-800-547-5716
- Graham-Field Health Products (wheelchairs), 2935 Northeast Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30360, 1-800-347-5678
- INVACARE (wheelchairs), 899 Cleveland Street, P.O. Box 4028, Elyria, OH 44035, 1-800-333-6900
- JDM Medical, Inc. (seating items), P.O. Box 1064, Pace, FL 32571, 1-800-994-4043
- Land and Wheels, 7811 N. 86th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53224, 1-800-558-5554
- Posey Company, 5635 Peck Road, Arcadia, CA 91006, 1-800-447-6739
- Roho Inc., Crown Therapeutics (seating items), 100 North Florida Avenue, Belleville, IL 62221, 1-800-851-3449
- Skil-Care Corporation, 29 Wells Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10701, 1-800-431-2972
- Sunrise Medical/Jay Products, 7477 East Dry Creek Parkway, Longmont, CO 80503, 1-800-333-4000
- Thompson Medical, Inc., (seat belts), 3404 Library Lane, St. Louis Park, MN 55426, 1-800-777-4949
- Varilite Medical Products (seating items), 4000 1st Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134, 1-800-827-4548
Page last reviewed December 2017
Page originally created February 2010
Page originally created February 2010
Internet Citation: Appendix A. References and Equipment Sources. Content last reviewed December 2017. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/long-term-care/resources/injuries/fallspx/fallspxmanapa.html