International Use of SOPS
International Survey Users
The number of international users that have administered one of the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) continues to grow. This page provides information on international use, including languages into which the surveys have been translated, countries in which SOPS has been administered, and guidelines for translation.
Table 1. List of SOPS Surveys, Countries, and Languages (as of September 2022)
|Number of Countries Administered In
|Number of Languages Translated Into
|Ambulatory Surgery Center
|Health Information Technology Patient Safety Supplemental Item Set
|Hospital Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set
|Medical Office Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set
|Hospital Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set
Known Languages Into Which SOPS Has Been Translated
Known Countries Where SOPS Has Been Administered
The SOPS surveys and supplemental item sets are publicly available for download and use; however, international users should contact SafetyCultureSurveys@westat.com for permission to use the survey outside the United States.
- Translation Guidelines for the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture (PDF, 6 MB)—Provides guidance for those interested in translating one of the SOPS surveys. Following these guidelines will help ensure that the survey's items, instructions, and responses convey the same meanings as the English version, use language that is familiar to and easily understood by respondents, are culturally appropriate, and use correct grammar and syntax.
Information for translators provides information about the intended meaning of the survey items to help translators develop a translation of the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture that conveys the same meaning as the original U.S. English version.
- Information for Translators of the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture Version 2.0
- Information for Translators of the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture
- Information for Translators of the Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture
- Information for Translators of the Medical Office Survey on Patient Safety Culture