What Are the SOPS Surveys?
The AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) ask healthcare providers and other staff in hospitals, medical offices, nursing homes, community pharmacies, and ambulatory surgery centers about their organizational culture’s support for patient safety.
Surveys on Patient Safety Culture
- Hospital Survey.
- Medical Office Survey.
- Nursing Home Survey.
- Community Pharmacy Survey.
- Ambulatory Surgery Center.
Users of SOPS surveys have the option of incorporating additional questions, known as supplemental items, to customize their questionnaires.
- Supplemental Items for the SOPS Hospital Survey:
- Supplemental Items for the SOPS Medical Office Survey:
The SOPS surveys and supplemental items are publicly available for download and use, however, international users should contact SafetyCultureSurveys@westat.com for permission to use the survey outside the United States.
SOPS Survey Development Process
The figure below shows the survey development process for the SOPS surveys and supplemental item sets.
Using the Surveys
When using any of the SOPS surveys, reference the full name "Surveys on Patient Safety Culture" with the trademark symbol (™) to indicate trademark is pending. In the text of written documents (journal articles, press coverage, etc.), spell out the name the first time that it appears, followed by SOPS in parentheses with the registered trademark symbol (®): "Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) program." Indicate that this is a program of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
If you are administering a patient safety culture survey that is based on a SOPS survey or uses items from a SOPS survey, please refer to the instructions for modifying and naming SOPS surveys in Using the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture..
- Increasing Survey Response Rate in Your Hospital - Theresa Famolaro conducts a brief interview with Rebecca Caschette, RN, M.S., of Memorial Healthcare System and Joe Hughes, M.H.A., of Riverside Walter Reed Hospital about how to increase survey response rates.
- Transcript of the podcast (PDF, 35 KB).
- Tip Sheet: Improving Response Rates on the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture (PDF, 130 KB)