Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items for Hospital SOPS
The SOPS® Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey are designed to be used in conjunction with the core Hospital SOPS to help hospitals assess the extent to which their organizations place a priority on and adopt practices to promote efficiency, waste reduction, patient centeredness, and high-quality care at a reasonable cost. The supplemental items may be added to the Hospital Survey to assess content in areas not included in the core questionnaire.
The Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items were developed and pilot tested for providers and staff in hospitals and ask for their opinions about the culture of value and efficiency in their organizations. More information on the SOPS Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items for the Medical Office Survey is available.
Combined SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 With Supplemental Items
Topics Covered by the Value and Efficiency Item Set
The Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items address the following topic areas:
- Empowerment To Improve Efficiency.
- Efficiency and Waste Reduction.
- Patient Centeredness and Efficiency.
- Management Support for Improving Efficiency and Reducing Waste.
- Experience With Activities To Improve Efficiency.
- Overall Ratings (patient centered, effective, timely, efficient).
Pilot Study Results
The Hospital Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items were administered to providers and staff in 47 hospitals in early 2014. Pilot study results are available for the nearly 4,000 hospital respondents who completed the survey items.
- Results From the 2014 Pilot Study of the AHRQ SOPS Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set for the Hospital Survey (PDF, 1.4 MB).
- Improving Value and Efficiency in Hospitals and Medical Offices: A Resource List for Users of the AHRQ SOPS Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items (PDF, 296 KB)
This document contains references to websites that provide practical resources hospitals and medical offices can use to implement changes to improve the culture of value and efficiency in their organizations.