Workplace Safety Supplemental Items for Hospital SOPS
The SOPS® Workplace Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey were developed and pilot tested for use with the core Hospital SOPS to help hospitals assess the extent to which their organization’s culture supports workplace safety for providers and staff. The 22 supplemental items may be added to the end of the Hospital Survey, just before the Background Questions.
- Workplace Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey—English (Word, 86 KB; PDF, 223 KB).
- Workplace Safety Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey—Spanish (Word, 89 KB; PDF, 309 KB).
Topics Covered by the Workplace Safety Item Set
Composite Measures: The supplemental items are listed by composite measure. A composite measure is a grouping of two or more survey items that assess the same area of culture related to workplace safety. The composite measures assessed in these supplemental items are:
- Protection From Workplace Hazards (3 items).
- Moving, Transferring, or Lifting Patients (3 items).
- Addressing Workplace Aggression From Patients or Visitors (2 items).
- Workplace Aggression Policies, Procedures, and Training (2 items).
- Supervisor, Manager, or Clinical Leader Support for Workplace Safety (3 items).
- Hospital Management Support for Workplace Safety (3 items).
Additional Measures: In addition to the composite measures, single item measures included assess:
- Addressing Verbal Aggression From Providers or Staff.
- Workplace Safety and Reporting.
- Work Stress/Burnout.*
- Overall Rating on Workplace Safety for Providers and Staff.
- Background Questions:
- Job Satisfaction.
- Intent to Leave.
* The Work Stress/Burnout item was adapted from Dr. Mark Linzer's Mini-Z 2.0 survey tool (https://www.professionalworklife.com/mini-z-survey).
Pilot Study Results
Pilot study results are available for the Hospital Workplace Safety Supplemental Items, which were administered to more than 7,000 providers and staff in 28 hospitals in mid-2021.
- Pilot Study Results From the AHRQ SOPS Workplace Safety Supplemental Items for Hospitals (PDF, 543 KB).
This document contains references to websites that provide practical resources hospitals can use to implement changes to improve the culture of workplace safety in their organizations.
- Improving Workplace Safety in Hospitals: A Resource List for Users of the AHRQ Workplace Safety Supplemental Items (PDF, 652 KB).
- SafetyCultureSurveys@westat.com, 1-888-324-9749.
- DatabasesonSafetyCulture@westat.com, 1-888-324-9790.