Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for Nursing Home SOPS
The SOPS® Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for nursing homes was designed for use with the core Nursing Home Survey to help nursing homes assess the extent to which their organization's culture supports workplace safety for staff. The 23 supplemental items may be added to the end of the Nursing Home Survey, just before the Background Questions.
Supplemental Item Set
- Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for the Nursing Home Survey—English (Word, 70 KB; PDF, 308 KB)
- Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for the Nursing Home Survey—Spanish (Word, 76 KB; PDF, 487 KB)
Learn more: New AHRQ SOPS Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for Nursing Homes webcast—January 24 at 1 p.m. ET.
Topics Covered by the Workplace Safety Item Set
The Nursing Home Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set addresses the following topic areas:
- Protection From Workplace Hazards (4 items).
- Moving, Transferring, or Lifting Residents (3 items).
- Addressing Inappropriate Resident Behavior Toward Staff (3 items).
- Interactions Among Staff (2 items).
- Supervisor Support for Workplace Safety (3 items).
- Management Support for Workplace Safety (3 items).
- Workplace Safety Reporting (1 item).
- Work Stress/Burnout (1 item).*
- Overall Rating on Workplace Safety for Staff (1 item).
- Background Questions (2 items).
* The Work Stress/Burnout item was adapted from Dr. Mark Linzer's Mini-Z 2.0 survey tool.
To submit data from the supplemental item set to the AHRQ SOPS Nursing Home Database, and to enable your site's data to be compared with the Database, the supplemental item set should be:
- Administered in its entirety without modifications or deletions:
- No changes to any of the survey item text and response options.
- No reordering of survey items.
- Added to the end of the SOPS Nursing Home Survey, after Section E: Overall Ratings and before the Background Questions section. Be sure to include any introductory text, definitions of terms, subheadings, and instructions in the supplemental item set.
Workplace Safety Results
- Pilot Study Results From the AHRQ SOPS Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set for Nursing Homes (PDF, 3 MB)—Pilot study results for the Nursing Home Workplace Safety Supplemental Item Set. The supplemental item set for this report displays results of 48 nursing homes with nearly 2,500 respondents in July–September 2022.
This document contains references to websites that provide practical resources nursing homes can use to implement changes to improve the culture of workplace safety in their organizations.