Patient Safety Awareness Week 2020
Patient Safety Awareness Week is an annual health observance sponsored by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI). As the Nation's patient safety agency, AHRQ supports this event to increase awareness about patient safety among health professionals, patients, and families.
Join us March 8–14, 2020, as we help to bring together and engage healthcare professionals and patients to make care safer.
AHRQ Observes Patient Safety Awareness Week
Former AHRQ Director Gopal Khanna, M.B.A., announces the Agency's participation in Patient Safety Awareness Week 2020. Director Khanna describes today’s pressing patient safety issues and AHRQ's research priorities in the field. (1 minute, 29 seconds)
Patient Safety Awareness Week Activities
Jeff Brady, M.D., M.P.H., former Director of the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, highlights some of the planned events and releases during AHRQ's weeklong observance of Patient Safety Awareness Week 2020. (2 minutes, 12 seconds)
Ways You Can Get Involved
- Listen to a complimentary webcast sponsored by IHI: Principles for Improving Patient Safety Measurement
Tuesday, March 10, 2020 | Noon–1 p.m. ET
- Participate in the Twitter Chat co-hosted by AHRQ and IHI: Effective Approaches for Safer Care Transitions
Thursday, March 12, 2020 | Noon–1 p.m. ET
Use the hashtag #PSAW20 to join the conversation!
- Check out recent releases below.
- Subscribe to AHRQ's Patient Safety email update or AHRQ News Now to get the latest information on patient safety.
- Find out how AHRQ's evidence-based tools and resources are used to improve patient safety. Read our Impact Case Studies.
- Follow Dr. Jeff Brady M.D., Director of AHRQ’s Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, on LinkedIn.
- Find out more about Patient Safety Awareness Week.
- Learn more about AHRQ's work in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement.
- Learn more about AHRQ's work in Transitions of Care and the Care Transitions App Challenge.
- Making Healthcare Safer III: A Critical Analysis of Existing and Emerging Patient Safety Practices.
- Potentially Preventable Readmissions: Conceptual Framework To Rethink the Role of Primary Care: Final Report.
- Choosing a Patient Safety Organization brochure (PDF, 815 KB).
- Surveys on Patient Safety Culture® (SOPS®) Medical Office Survey: 2020 User Database Report (PDF, 441 KB).
- Toolkit To Improve Antibiotic Use in Acute Care Hospitals.
- Blog: AHRQ’s Making Healthcare Safer III Report: A New Milestone in Support of Patient Safety.
- Blog: Rethinking the Role of Primary Care in Reducing Hospital Readmissions.
Striving To Improve Patient Safety
Listening to Patient's Needs to Improve Patient Care
Analyzing Patient Data to Improve Transitions of Care
Creating New Digital Tools to Better Engage with Patients