Patient Safety Awareness Week
AHRQ and colleagues from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Health Resources and Services Administration, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, and the entire patient safety community are collaborating to observe Patient Safety Awareness Week. While AHRQ's mission keeps us focused on patient safety all year long, this is a great time to raise awareness about the importance of making healthcare as safe as possible for everyone.
Join us March 14–20, 2021, as we help to bring together and engage healthcare professionals and patients to make care safer.
Patient Safety Awareness Week Activities
Patient Safety Awareness Week 2021
Jeff Brady, M.D., M.P.H., former Director of the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, welcomes participants to Patient Safety Awareness Week 2021. He describes AHRQ's commitment to improving patient safety and its recent work in this area of health services research. (2 minutes, 50 seconds)
Ways You Can Get Involved
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to see and hear from top patient safety experts and to learn more about AHRQ's proven tools and resources for improving diagnostic safety, preventing healthcare-associated infections, and more. Use #PSAW2021, #PSAW21, and #patientsafetyawarenessweek to join the conversation.
- Register for a complimentary webcast sponsored by IHI and co-moderated by AHRQ’s Jeff Brady: Workplace Violence: Protecting Health Care Workers
Tuesday, March 16, 2021 | 1–2 p.m. ET
- Register for a complimentary webcast hosted by the Health Resources & Services Administration in partnership with AHRQ, the National Practitioner Databank, and the Indian Health Service: Becoming a High-Reliability Organization
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 | 1–2:30 p.m. ET
- Check out recent releases below.
- Subscribe to AHRQ's Patient Safety email update or AHRQ News Now to get the latest information on patient safety.
- Find out how AHRQ's evidence-based tools and resources are used to improve patient safety. Read our Impact Case Studies.
- Find out more about Patient Safety Awareness Week.
- Learn more about AHRQ's work in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement.
- Fall TIPS: A Patient-Centered Fall Prevention Toolkit.
- Chartbook on Patient Safety (updated February 2021).
- Grantee profile on Ronilda Lacson, M.D., Ph.D., on improving diagnostic process safety.
- Sepsis Telehealth Study and Toolkit.
- InfoSAGE care coordination web resource.
- AHRQ PSNet Annual Perspective: Improving Patient Safety Through Communication.
- AHRQ Views Blog: Jeff Brady, M.D., M.P.H., CQuIPS director, and David Meyers, AHRQ's acting director, discuss two developments that indicate we are approaching a tipping point at which progress on patient safety could be exponentially more rapid.
- AHRQ Views Blog: Jeff Brady, M.D., M.P.H., CQuIPS director, examines how stakeholders are working together to tackle our most pressing patient safety issues.
- AHRQ Views Blog: Draft Report to Congress on Improving Patient Safety.
- Making Healthcare Safer III: A Critical Analysis of Existing and Emerging Patient Safety Practices.
- Potentially Preventable Readmissions: Conceptual Framework To Rethink the Role of Primary Care: Final Report.
- Choosing a Patient Safety Organization brochure (PDF, 815 KB).
- Surveys on Patient Safety Culture® (SOPS®) Medical Office Survey: 2020 User Database Report (PDF, 4 MB).
- Toolkit To Improve Antibiotic Use in Acute Care Hospitals.