The Clinical Care module of the ESRD Toolkit summarizes why proper clinical care is important in preventing vascular access infections, explains practices staff members can follow during site access to reduce infection risk, and describes ways to evaluate infection control practices at a facility.
Presentation Slides [
Microsoft PowerPoint version - 19.63 MB
Facilitator Notes [
Clinical Care Slides Word version (Zip) [ - 27.24 MB]
- Initiating Dialysis With Fistula or Graft: Accessing Medication Port To Administer Medication
This video vignette illustrates proper initiation of dialysis for patients with fistulae or grafts and the way to properly administer medication. It can be shared with staff as a refresher on current practices and guidelines
- Initiating Dialysis With a Catheter: Catheter Exit Site Care
This video vignette illustrates proper initiation of dialysis for patients with catheters, as well as proper exit site care. It can be shared with staff as a refresher on current practices and guidelines.
- Patient Engagement in Infection Prevention
This video vignette describes how to involve dialysis patients in preventing infections.
Download these videos for use without an Internet connection.
Procedural checklists, for use by direct-care staff at the dialysis station, on the following topics:
- Access of Central Venous Catheter for Initiation of Dialysis [
PDF version - 197.13 KB
- Central Venous Catheter Exit Site Care [
PDF version - 158.21 KB
- Access of Arterial Venous Fistula or Graft for Initiation of Dialysis [
PDF version - 180.97 KB
- Parenteral Medication Storage, Preparation, and Administration [
PDF version - 183.47 KB
- Access of Central Venous Catheter for Termination of Dialysis [
PDF version - 161.94 KB
- Access of Arterial Venous Fistula or Graft for Termination of Dialysis and Post-Dialysis Access Care [
PDF version - 178.28 KB
- Cleaning and Disinfection of the Dialysis Station [
PDF version - 194.15 KB
Information sheets on the following topics:
Page originally created December 2014