Module 4: Systems Change: Preparing and Understanding Your Data To Foster Systems Change
Video: Systems Change: Understanding Your Workflow Processes to Prepare for System Change (1:01:14)
This module is the last in a series of four foundational trainings designed to help hospitals and health systems build the groundwork to support the implementation of automatic referral with effective care coordination. Participants will learn to prepare data needed to support implementing automatic referrals, how to create a data collection plan, and the value of monitoring data so it can be used to make system refinements and promote further improvement efforts.
Topics covered in this module include:
- Explaining data and the value it brings to planned improvement or system change projects.
- Reviewing how to collect and establish baseline data to identify missing data elements necessary for supporting the implementation of automatic referral with effective care coordination.
- Creating a future data collection plan to support the project.
- Creating measures to monitor the changes being made.
- Examples from the field to tie all the concepts together.
The target audiences for this session include:
- The CR QI team
- Non-team cardiac clinicians
- Discharge planners
- Care coordinators
- Hospital leadership
It is important to note that the audiences listed above are a suggestion rather than a limitation. All are welcome to watch and review the module.
Upon completion of this module, attendees should be able to:
- Understand the importance of data and identify different data types.
- Establish baseline data for referrals, enrollment, and adherence with CR.
- Create a data collection plan to measure and monitor performance of changes specific to automatic referral and care coordination.
CHI Memorial Hospital
Provide feedback on this training module at TAKEheart@abtassoc.com.
Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Cardiac Rehabilitation. Accessed July 1, 2021.
Million Hearts. Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Use Surveillance Methodology. Accessed July 1, 2021.
The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Cardiac Rehabilitation Referral Strategy. Accessed July 1, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Worksheet. Accessed July 1, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Project Planning Form. Accessed July 1, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Quality Improvement Essentials Toolkit. Accessed July 1, 2021.