Module 5: Building and Implementing a Successful Automatic Referral System
Video: Building and Implementing a Successful Automatic Referral System (1:00:05)
This module builds on the foundation established in modules one through four, with a focus on the automatic referral system. The training explores the important relationship between automatic referral and care coordination and discusses the necessary factors for designing an effective automatic referral system. The training session concludes with steps hospitals need to take to test a new automatic referral system before implementing.
Topics covered in this module include:
- Reviewing the important relationship between automatic referral and care coordination.
- Exploring the important factors to think through when designing the EMR specifications for automatic referral to cardiac rehabilitation.
- Creating a testing plan for the newly designed automatic referral system:
- Defining the testing process
- Creating success criteria
- Allowing for adjustments and refinements
- Preparing for implementation
The target audiences for this session include:
- The CR QI team
- Non-team cardiac clinicians, including leadership representatives
- Discharge planners
- Care coordinators
- IT representatives
It is important to note that the audiences listed above are a suggestion rather than a limitation. All are welcome to watch and review the module.
Upon completion of this module, attendees should be able to:
- Explain WHY implementing automatic referral benefits CR patients and why automatic referral makes care coordination critical.
- Understand HOW to design and collaborate with IT to develop EMR specifications for an automatic referral system.
- Create a testing plan to begin testing the planned approach to automate referral for cardiac rehabilitation.
Mass General Brigham Healthcare
Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital
Provide feedback on this training module at TAKEheart@abtassoc.com.
Emory Healthcare. Cardiac Rehabilitation Electronic Referral Process. Accessed July 21, 2021.
Henry Ford Health System. EMR-based Cardiac Rehabilitation Referral as an “Opt Out” Process in Diagnosis-Related Order Sets. Accessed July 21, 2021.
Massachusetts General Hospital. EHR Automatic Referral to CR. Accessed July 21, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Worksheet. Accessed July 21, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Project Planning Form. Accessed July 21, 2021.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Quality Improvement Essentials Toolkit. Accessed July 21, 2021.