What should your practice do to improve your patients' understanding of health related information and self-care instructions? This guide is for the moderator of the discussion following the presentation of the health literacy video.
To promote a productive discussion, please review the following information with the participants before you begin. Stress that there is work to do to move forward with implementing health literacy universal precautions in your practice and ideas and support from all staff is essential.
Remind participants that:
- Everyone is encouraged to speak.
- No one or two individuals should dominate the discussion.
- All ideas will be considered.
- Participants should listen to each other.
Other suggestions for the facilitator:
- Identify one person to take notes.
- Review each question.
- Summarize key ideas.
- Identify the next steps for your practice.
- Allow at least 30 minutes for discussion.