SOPS Research Datasets
In response to requests from researchers interested in using data from the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture (SOPS®) for research purposes, AHRQ has established a process whereby researchers can request de-identified data files and hospital-identifiable SOPS Hospital Survey data files from the AHRQ SOPS Databases.
The Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ Databases currently include data from the:
- SOPS Hospital Survey.
- SOPS Medical Office Survey.
- SOPS Nursing Home Survey.
- SOPS Community Pharmacy Survey.
- SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey.
De-Identified Data Requests
Researchers interested in obtaining de-identified SOPS survey data from the SOPS Database must submit a completed De-Identified Research Abstract Form and signed Data Release Agreement.
- Information and Instructions for Requesting SOPS De-Identified Data (PDF, 92.4 KB)—Provides information and instructions for researchers interested in obtaining de-identified data files.
- SOPS De-Identified Data Research Abstract Form (MS Word, 30 KB)—Researchers requesting de-identified data must submit a completed form outlining the proposed use of the data.
- SOPS De-Identified Data Release Agreement (PDF, 189 KB)—Researchers requesting data must submit a signed de-identified Data Release Agreement.
- For questions or to apply for De-Identified Data:
- Email SOPSResearchData@westat.com (Subject line: SOPS De-Identified Data Request).
Requests will be fulfilled year-round. On average, the time from receipt of request to release of data is up to 45 days.
Hospital-Identifiable SOPS Hospital Survey Data Requests
For the SOPS Hospital Database only, hospital-identifiable data files may be made available, which can include data from the database that contain hospital identifiers, such as hospital name, address, and Medicare Provider ID. Hospital-identifiable data files do not identify individual respondents within hospitals. Valid purposes for using the hospital-identifiable data do not include the use of the data for public reporting, proprietary, commercial, or competitive purposes involving those participating organizations, or to determine the rights, benefits, or privileges of organizations participating in the database.
Researchers interested in obtaining hospital-identifiable data must submit a completed Hospital-Identifiable Research Abstract Form and Confidentiality Agreement. Requests will be reviewed and must be approved by AHRQ. Hospital-identifiable SOPS Hospital Survey data are only provided to researchers with the express written authorization of hospitals that have submitted to the database. All approved data requests will be submitted to those database hospitals that have not provided written preapproval for the release of their hospital-identifiable data. Database hospitals will review the data requests and decide whether to authorize release of their hospital-identifiable data to each data requester on a case-by-case basis.
- Information and Instructions for Requesting Hospital-Identifiable SOPS Data (PDF, 276 KB)—Provides information and application instructions for researchers interested in obtaining hospital-identifiable data.
- Hospital-Identifiable SOPS Data Research Abstract Form (Word, 26 KB)—Researchers requesting hospital-identifiable data must submit a completed form outlining the proposed use of the data.
- Hospital-Identifiable SOPS Data Confidentiality Agreement (PDF, 168 KB)—Researchers requesting hospital-identifiable data must submit a signed Confidentiality Agreement.
- For questions or to apply for Hospital-identifiable Data:
- Email SOPSResearchData@westat.com (Subject line: Hospital-Identifiable Data Request).
AHRQ reviews hospital-identifiable SOPS Hospital Survey data requests year-round but only sends approved requests to database hospitals once a year. Typically, hospitals are given 12 weeks to provide written authorization for the release of their data. Once written authorization is received, it typically takes another 12 weeks to release the identifiable data to data requesters.