SOPS Hospital Database
AHRQ has established the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture Database as a central repository for survey data from hospitals that have administered the AHRQ patient safety culture survey instrument and choose to submit their survey data to the AHRQ SOPS Hospital Database. The Database serves as an important resource for patient safety culture improvement.
- Submission Information—For hospitals interested in submitting data from the:
- SOPS Hospital survey, Versions 1.0 and 2.0,
- SOPS Health Information Technology Patient Safety Supplemental Items, and
- SOPS Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey.
- NOTE: The 2020 data submission will be the last for the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture Version 1.0 before the transition to Version 2.0. For more information, view the Transitioning to the SOPS™ Hospital Survey 2.0 and Appendixes documents.
- Research Datasets—Provides information and application instructions for researchers interested in obtaining deidentified and hospital-identifiable data files from the database to conduct research.
SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 Pilot Test Results
Pilot Test Results from the 2019 SOPS Hospital Survey Version 2.0 (PDF, 1.77 MB); Appendixes (PDF, 1 MB)—Results are provided for the items and patient safety culture composite measures on the AHRQ SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 from 25 U.S. hospitals that participated in a 2019 pilot test.
SOPS Hospital Survey 1.0 Database Reports
2018 Hospital Database Report (PDF, 4 MB); Executive Summary (PDF, 476 KB); Appendixes (PDF, 3 MB)—The latest edition of the AHRQ Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture User Database Report presents data from 630 U.S. hospitals, as well as a chapter on trending that presents results showing change over time for 306 hospitals that administered the survey and submitted data more than once. The report consists of a narrative description of the findings and four appendixes, presenting data by hospital characteristics and respondent characteristics for the database hospitals overall and separately for the 306 trending hospitals. The report contains data voluntarily submitted by participating hospitals and is not representative of all U.S. hospitals.
2016 Hospital SOPS Database Report (3.08 MB); Appendixes (3.16 MB)—Based on data from 680 U.S. hospitals, the 2016 user database report provides a narrative description of the findings and four appendixes, presenting data by hospital characteristics and respondent characteristics for the database hospitals overall and separately for 326 trending hospitals. The report contains data voluntarily submitted by participating hospitals and is not representative of all U.S. hospitals.
Database reports were also produced in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014.