SOPS Hospital Database Submission Information
The next SOPS Hospital Database data submission is June 1–20, 2022, and will accept data from the SOPS Hospital Survey Version 2.0, with or without supplemental items: Health Information Technology Patient Safety Supplemental Items, and Value and Efficiency Supplemental Items for the Hospital Survey.
Guidelines for Use of SOPS Trademarked Surveys and Supplemental Items
The AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) Hospital Database is a central repository for survey data from hospitals that administered the AHRQ survey and choose to submit their data. It is an important resource for patient safety culture improvement. The Database produces a free report of aggregate hospital-level statistics and results by hospital characteristics. Each participating hospital also receives a feedback report comparing their own results to the Database.
All submissions of survey results to the SOPS Hospital Database must comply with the following guidelines to be included in the Database:
- The SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 must have been administered in its entirety without modifications or deletions to the core* survey items.
- No changes can be made to the core survey item text and/or response options. Changes can only be made to the units/work areas, staff positions, and background questions at the end of the survey. If units/work areas and/or staff positions are modified, they need to be cross-walked back to the original survey categories before submitting data.
- Do not reorder core survey items.
- Do not omit or delete core survey items. Only background questions at the end can be removed.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings (re-lettering as needed), and instructions in the survey.
- Do not insert new items or supplemental items within the core survey—they should only be added toward the end of the survey, right before the background questions at the end.
*Note: Core survey items are the survey items in Sections A-F in SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0. The core does not include units/work areas, staff positions, and background questions at the end of the survey.
- Hospitals that administer the SOPS Hospital Survey with any SOPS supplemental items must comply with the following guidelines:
- No changes can be made to the supplemental survey item text and/or response options.
- Do not reorder supplemental survey items.
- Do not omit or delete supplemental survey items.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings, and instructions in the supplemental item set.
To determine whether a survey is acceptable for submission to the SOPS Hospital Database prior to survey administration, email a copy of the survey to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com for review.
Supported survey versions: The SOPS Hospital Database will only be accepting data from Version 2.0. For more information, view the Transitioning to the SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 (PDF, 776 KB) and Appendixes (PDF, 625 KB) documents.
- SOPS Hospital Survey Version 2.0 with or without supplemental items:
How to participate:
- Email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com with your complete contact information and "Hospital Database Submission" in the subject line. Database staff will send registration information to you to complete. This information, along with a copy of the survey(s) administered, will be reviewed to determine your eligibility.
- Provide the following data elements:
- Medicare Provider ID and hospital characteristics per these site-level data file specifications (PDF, 240 KB). American Hospital Association (AHA)-registered hospitals must provide their AHA ID.
- A copy of the survey(s) actually administered for review and approval.
- Signed Data Use Agreement (PDF, 895 KB), which assures hospitals about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used.
- Respondent-level survey data following the appropriate data file specifications for each hospital site. Each hospital, including those from a system, is considered a separate hospital for submission purposes and must be submitted with a unique site identification number.
- SOPS Hospital Survey Version 2.0 Data File Specifications:
For free technical assistance and support, email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com or call 1-888-324-9790.