Participating in the SOPS Hospital Survey Database
The SOPS® Hospital Database is a central repository for survey data from hospitals in the United States or in a U.S. territory that administered the AHRQ SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 and choose to submit their data. The SOPS Hospital Database Report presents aggregated results for all participating hospitals as well as results by hospital and respondent characteristics. Each participating hospital also receives a feedback report comparing their results with the Database.
Upcoming Data Submission
- Data submission will be open June 3-21, 2024.
- Hospitals may submit their most recent data from surveys administered between July 2022 and June 2024.
How To Participate in the Database
Organizations that want to participate in the Hospital Survey Database will be asked to register for an account and provide the following information:
- Medicare Provider ID and hospital characteristics. American Hospital Association (AHA)-registered hospitals must provide their AHA ID.
- A copy of the survey(s) actually administered for review and approval.
- Data Use Agreement, which assures hospitals about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used.
- Respondent-level survey data following the appropriate data file specifications for each hospital site. Each hospital, including those from a system, is considered a separate hospital for submission purposes and must be submitted with a unique site identification number.
Visit the Hospital Survey Database Submission System for additional information and specifications and to register to submit data.
Accepted Versions of the Survey and Supplemental Item Sets
The AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) Hospital Database accepts data from the following:
- SOPS Hospital Survey Version 2.0, with or without supplemental item sets:
Requirements To Participate in the Database
All submissions of survey data to the SOPS Hospital Database must comply with the following guidelines to be included in the Database:
- Administer the SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0 in its entirety without modifications or deletions to the core* survey items.
- Do not change the core survey item text and/or response options. Changes can only be made to the units/work areas, staff positions, and background questions at the end of the survey. If units/work areas and/or staff positions are modified, they need to be cross-walked back to the original survey categories before submitting data.
- Do not reorder core survey items.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings, and instructions in the survey.
- Do not insert new items or supplemental items within the core survey—they should only be added toward the end of the survey, right before the background questions.
*Note: Core survey items are the survey items in Sections A–F in SOPS Hospital Survey 2.0. The core does not include units/work areas, staff positions, and background questions at the end of the survey.
- Hospitals that administer the SOPS Hospital Survey with any SOPS supplemental item set(s) must comply with the following guidelines:
- Do not change the supplemental survey item text and/or response options.
- Do not reorder supplemental survey items.
- Do not omit or delete supplemental survey items.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings, and instructions from the supplemental item set.
To determine whether a survey is acceptable for submission to the SOPS Hospital Database prior to survey administration, email a copy of the survey to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com for review.
For free technical assistance and support, contact the SOPS Database team:
- Email: DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com
- Phone: 1-888-324-9790.