Summaries of Select CAHPS Research Projects
For more than two decades, AHRQ's CAHPS Consortium has served as the "R&D engine" for the CAHPS initiative, which has been responsible for multiple innovations in the design and administration of patient experience surveys. This research team continues to explore ways to improve the usefulness and practicality of the surveys.
CAHPS V Research Projects
Research projects initiated in the current 5-year cooperative agreement for CAHPS focus on:
- The development and testing of new surveys.
- The development and testing of survey items on specific topics and for specific purposes.
- Refinements to existing surveys.
- Efforts to improve the effectiveness of survey administration methods.
- Studies of uses of CAHP survey results.
- Evaluations of efforts to improve patient experience.
CAHPS IV Research Projects
Research conducted during CAHPS IV (2012–2017) addressed the following topics:
Survey Design and Methods
- Improving the Efficiency of CAHPS Survey Administration (PDF, 186 KB)
- Alignment of CAHPS Ambulatory Care Surveys (PDF, 172 KB)
Using CAHPS Surveys To Improve Patient Experience
- Impact of Patient-Centered Medical Home Transformation on Patient Experience (PDF, 172 KB)
- Use of CAHPS® Patient-Centered Medical Home Items During PCMH Transformation (PDF, 142 KB)
- Effect of a Nurse Care Coordination Program on Quality of Care (PDF, 219 KB)
- Using Patient Experience Information in Hospitals: A Survey of Hospital Quality Leaders (PDF, 161 KB)