CAHPS Webcasts & Other Events
The CAHPS® User Network hosts educational events designed to inform survey users about products and related resources, offer updates on the status of products in development, and support in the use of CAHPS survey and data results.
- Understanding CAHPS Surveys: A Primer for New Users (January 22, 2020)
- Recent Insights into CAHPS Survey Modes and Response Rates (November 19, 2019)
- Developing Invitation Messages That Increase CAHPS Survey Response Rates (September 10, 2019)
- Creative Strategies to Improve Patient Care Experience (April 18, 2019)
- Understanding CAHPS Surveys: A Primer for New Users (Webcast)—Annual Refresher (January 8, 2019)
- Implementing the New CAHPS Protocol for Obtaining Patient Comments About Their Care (October 3, 2018)
- Understanding CAHPS Surveys: A Primer for New Users (January 11, 2018)
- CAHPS Moving Forward: Innovations in Tools and Research (October 12, 2017)
- Introducing the CAHPS Cancer Care Survey (June 13, 2017)
- Introducing a Protocol To Obtain Patient Comments Using the CAHPS Clinician & Group Survey (January 26, 2017)
- Strategies for Improving CAHPS Health Plan Survey Scores (April 13, 2016)
- Strategies for Improving CAHPS Clinician & Group (CG-CAHPS) Survey Scores (March 15, 2016)
- Introducing the New CAHPS Clinician & Group Survey 3.0 (September 17, 2015)
- Excelling on CAHPS: Lessons from Top-Performing Medicaid and CHIP Health Plans (March 17, 2015)
- Introducing the CAHPS Child Hospital Survey (January 22, 2015)
- Achieving Excellence Across All CG-CAHPS Core Measures: Lessons from Top-Performing Medical Practices (October 22, 2014)
- Public Reporting of Patients’ Comments with Quality Measures: How Can We Make It Work? (June 3, 2014)
- Using the CAHPS Database to Compare, Report, and Improve Organizational Performance (January 15, 2014)
- Myth Busting: Using the CG-CAHPS 12-Month Survey for Quality Improvement (October 8, 2013)
AHRQ occasionally hosts research meetings that bring together researchers, subject matter experts and key stakeholders to focus on specific topics of interest to the CAHPS Consortium.
Advances in Survey Methodology: Maximizing Response Rates and the Representativeness of CAHPS® Survey Data (September 2018)
This research meeting focused on two related topics:
- Improving response rates for CAHPS surveys.
- Ensuring the representativeness of respondents to CAHPS surveys.
The speakers and participants included members of the CAHPS Consortium, other researchers working with CAHPS surveys, experts in survey methodology, representatives of Federal agencies that use CAHPS surveys, experts in patient-centered care, and other stakeholders such as health plans, health systems, and accrediting organizations.
The presentations and discussion focused on three issues that point to priorities for future research:
- The promise and challenges of various survey modes.
- Strategies for encouraging survey responses.
- The potential impact of changes to survey length, design, and format.
To learn more, read a summary of the September 2018 research meeting on patient narratives (PDF, 442 KB).
Advancing the Science and Implementation of Patient Narrative Elicitation and Reporting (September 2016)
The purpose of this research meeting was to identify the key methodological, operational, and policy issues that would need to be addressed to advance the evidence-based use of patient narrative information as a complement to CAHPS survey scores. In additional to CAHPS researchers, participants included representatives of health systems, health plans, patient advocacy groups, regional quality improvement coalitions, research organizations, and foundations.
Following presentations by the CAHPS team about the findings from experimental research and early field tests, the participants discussed a variety of challenges and issues related to:
- Eliciting representative narratives from patients.
- Analyzing the narratives to identify actionable information.
- Reporting the narratives to health care providers and to the public.
- Using narratives to inform quality improvement processes.
Topics identified for future research included the following:
- Developing elicitation protocols for other health care settings.
- Testing alternative narrative invitations/framing language.
- Improving the efficiency of data collection modes.
- Strategies for taking analysis of narratives to scale (e.g., natural language processing (NLP).
- Assessing alternative feedback methods for clinicians.
- Exploring regulatory/legal issues related to public reporting of narratives.
To learn more, read a summary of the September 2016 research meeting on patient narratives.
Archived Meeting Materials
Presentations at AHRQ Conferences: 2010–2015
CAHPS researchers have shared their work at the AHRQ annual conferences. Select the links below to review their presentations.
- 2015 AHRQ Research Conference, October 4–6, 2015
- 2012 AHRQ Annual Conference, September 9–11, 2012
- 2011 AHRQ Annual Conference, September 18–21, 2011
- 2010 AHRQ Annual Conference, September 27–29, 2010
User Group Meetings: 2001–2010
AHRQ hosted 12 in-person conferences for researchers and users of CAHPS surveys. Select the links below to review the presentations delivered at these meetings.
- 12th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, April 19–21, 2010
- 11th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, December 3–5, 2008
- 10th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, March 29–31, 2006
- 9th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, December 2004
- 8th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, June 6–7, 2002
- 7th National CAHPS User Group Meeting, March 8–9, 2001