CAHPS Health Plan Survey Database
The CAHPS Health Plan Survey Database has data from the CAHPS Medicaid Survey 5.0/5.1 that have been voluntarily submitted by various sponsors, including State Medicaid agencies, State Children's Health Insurance Programs (CHIP), and individual health plans. This database has been operational since 1998. The Health Plan Survey Database also includes data from the Medicare Survey 4.0 provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Participating in the Health Plan Survey Database. Participation is free and open to all Medicaid agencies and Children's Health Insurance Programs (CHIP), provided the questionnaires are administered in a manner consistent with CAHPS guidance and survey data is submitted according to CAHPS specifications.
- Using the data for research. De-identified data files at the respondent and organization level are also available for approved research.
Review Results from the CAHPS Health Plan Survey Database
Aggregated results from the Health Plan Survey are available for the following populations:
- Adult Medicaid.
- Child Medicaid.
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- Medicare1 (provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)).
These results can be reviewed in two formats: the CAHPS Data Tools and Chartbooks.
CAHPS Data Tools
AHRQ’s CAHPS Data Tools provide access to aggregated results for composite measures, rating measures, and individual survey items, organized according to survey version and year. The CAHPS Data Tools present data in four different ways:
- Overview: The number of respondents and health plans represented in the most recent surveys.
- Top Box Results: The percentage of survey respondents who chose the most positive score for a given item’s response scale.
- Percentiles: The percentage of health plans that scored at or below a particular top box score.
- Bar Charts: A graphical distribution of survey results that shows the top, bottom, and middle response categories.
CAHPS Health Plan Survey Chartbooks summarize the survey results in a given year. These chartbooks are available for 2013-2022.
- 2022 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1.6 MB); 2022 Highlights: Infographic (PDF, 899 KB)
- 2021 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 2 MB); 2021 Highlights: Infographic (PDF, 312 KB)
- 2020 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1.2 MB); 2020 Highlights: Infographic (PDF, 344 KB)
- 2019 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1 MB); 2019 Highlights: Infographic (PDF, 223 KB)
- 2018 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1.4 MB); 2018 Highlights: Infographic (PDF, 249 KB)
- 2017 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 964 KB)
- 2016 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1 MB)
- 2015 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- 2014 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 812 KB)
- 2013 CAHPS Chartbook (PDF, 687 KB)
1. The AHRQ-reported Medicare CAHPS results do not match the results provided by CMS for the same years. The top box scores for the Medicare CAHPS Survey that are reported in the CAHPS Chartbooks are not adjusted for case mix; CMS calculates scores using a different methodology that is not directly comparable. For more details on how CMS calculates Medicare CAHPS scores, visit: https://www.ma-pdpcahps.org/en/scoring-and-star-ratings/.