The CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide: Practical Strategies for Improving Patient Experience
The CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide is a comprehensive resource for health plans, medical groups, and other providers seeking to improve their performance in the domains of patient experience measured by CAHPS surveys of ambulatory care. Use this guide to help your organization:
- Cultivate an environment that encourages and sustains improvements in patient-centered care.
- Analyze the results of CAHPS surveys and other forms of patient feedback to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop strategies for improving performance.
Determining Where to Focus Efforts to Improve Patient Experience (PDF Version, 1.31 MB): Learn how to identify promising opportunities to improve patient experience in your organization.
Strategies for Improving Patient Experience (PDF Version, 582 KB) Learn about strategies for improving various aspects of patients' experience with care, including access to care and information (AC), communication between patients and providers (PC), coordination of care (CC), customer service (CS), and health promotion/education (HP).
- Open Access Scheduling for Routine and Urgent Appointment (PDF Version, 448 KB)—AC
- OpenNotes (PDF Version, 273 KB)—AC, PC, CC
- Internet Access for Health Information and Advice (PDF Version, 355 KB)—AC, HP
- Rapid Referral Programs (PDF Version, 322 KB)—AC, CC
- On-Demand Advice, Diagnosis, and Treatment for Minor Health Conditions (PDF Version, 350 KB)—AC, PC
- Training to Advance Physicians' Communication Skills (PDF Version, 330 KB)—PC, CC, HP
- Tools To Help Patients Communicate Their Needs (PDF Version, 272 KB)—PC, CC
- Shared Decision-Making (PDF Version, 214 KB)—PC, HP
- Support Groups and Self-Care (PDF Version, 266 KB)—HP
- Cultivating Cultural Competence (PDF Version, 313 KB)—PC
- Planned Visits (PDF Version, 234 KB)—AC, PC, HP
- Group Visits (PDF Version, 261 KB)—AC, PC, HP
- Price Transparency (PDF Version, 232 KB)—AC
- Service Recovery Programs (PDF Version, 488 KB)—CS
- Standards for Customer Service (PDF Version, 321 KB)—CS
- Reminder Systems for Immunization and Preventive Services (PDF Version, 318 KB)—CP, CC, HP
Page originally created April 2016