The CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide: Practical Strategies for Improving Patient Experience
The CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide is a comprehensive resource for health plans, medical groups, and other providers seeking to improve their performance in the domains of patient experience measured by CAHPS surveys of ambulatory care. Use this guide to help your organization:
- Cultivate an environment that encourages and sustains improvements in patient-centered care.
- Analyze the results of CAHPS surveys and other forms of patient feedback to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop strategies for improving performance.
Read the complete
CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide
(PDF, 3.7 MB)
Read sections of the Guide:
Section 1: About the CAHPS Ambulatory Care Improvement Guide (PDF, 284 KB): A brief overview of the guide and the organizations responsible for its development and maintenance.
Section 4: Ways To Approach the Quality Improvement Process (PDF, 487 KB): Review key steps for implementing strategies and actions aimed at improving performance.
Section 5: Determining Where to Focus Efforts to Improve Patient Experience (PDF, 1.24 MB): Learn how to identify promising opportunities to improve patient experience in your organization.
Section 6: Strategies for Improving Patient Experience (PDF, 582 KB) Learn about strategies for improving various aspects of patients' experience with care, including access to care and information (AC), communication between patients and providers (PC), coordination of care (CC), customer service (CS), and health promotion/education (HP).
- Open Access Scheduling for Routine and Urgent Appointment (PDF, 314 KB)—AC
- OpenNotes (PDF, 273 KB)—AC, PC, CC
- Internet Access for Health Information and Advice (PDF, 248 KB)—AC, HP
- Rapid Referral Programs (PDF, 241 KB)—AC, CC
- On-Demand Advice, Diagnosis, and Treatment for Minor Health Conditions (PDF, 350 KB)—AC, PC
- Training To Advance Physicians' Communication Skills (PDF, 1 MB)—PC, CC, HP
- Tools To Help Patients Communicate Their Needs (PDF, 246 KB)—PC, CC
- Shared Decisionmaking (PDF, 270 KB)—PC, HP
- Support Groups and Self-Care (PDF, 214 KB)—HP
- Cultivating Cultural Competence (PDF, 318 KB)—PC
- Planned Visits (PDF, 222 KB)—AC, PC, HP
- Group Visits (PDF, 232 KB)—AC, PC, HP
- Price Transparency (PDF, 239 KB)—AC
- Service Recovery Programs (PDF, 748 KB)—CS
- Standards for Customer Service (PDF, 708 KB)—CS
- Reminder Systems for Immunization and Preventive Services (PDF, 661 KB)—CP, CC, HP
Six Ways To Use CAHPS To Improve Patient Experience (1:15)