Participating in the CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey Database
All Medicaid agencies and managed care entities that administer this survey are invited to submit their results to the CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS CAHPS) Survey Database. This page explains the requirements and the steps involved in participating.
Key Dates for 2023:
- Data submission period: August 7 – September 1, 2023.
- Survey administration period: Between January 1 and December 31, 2022.
To be notified about future submission periods, please sign up for email updates from AHRQ.
How To Participate in the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database
Organizations that want to participate in the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database will be asked to register for an account and provide the following information:
- Program information.
- Data Use Agreement (DUA).
- CAHPS survey instrument.
- CAHPS data file.
Please visit the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database Submission System for forms, specifications, and additional information.
For technical assistance, please contact the CAHPS Database staff:
- Email: HCBSCAHPSDatabase@Westat.com.
- Phone: 855–580–4657.
Benefits of Participating in the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database
Organizations that contribute their HCBS CAHPS Survey data to the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database will receive:
- A private, customized feedback report that compares their survey results to overall findings aggregated across all HCBS CAHPS Survey Database participants.
- Access to technical assistance to support data submission.
Accepted Versions of the HCBS CAHPS Survey
The CAHPS Database accepts the following survey instruments:
- CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey 1.0.
- CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey 1.0 with the Employment Module Item Set.
Requirements To Participate in the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database
To participate in the HCBS CAHPS, survey instruments must meet certain requirements. Failure to follow these guidelines will result in your data not being included in the database.
- Survey instruments must include all core questions from the HCBS CAHPS Survey.
- Survey instruments must not alter the wording, response options, or response values of any core questions.
- Survey instruments must not omit any of the survey items related to respondent characteristics. These items are used to adjust results for case mix.