SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Database Submission Information
Guidelines for Use of SOPS Trademarked Surveys
The AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture™ (SOPS®) Ambulatory Surgery Center Database is a central repository for survey data from ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) that administered the AHRQ survey and choose to submit their data. It is an important resource for patient safety culture improvement. The Database produces a free report of aggregate ASC-level statistics and results by ASC characteristics. Each participating ASC also receives a feedback report comparing their own results to the Database.
All submissions of survey results to the SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Database must comply with the following guidelines to be included in the Database:
The SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey must have been administered in its entirety without modifications or deletions to the core* survey items.
- No changes can be made to the core survey item text and/or response options. Changes can only be made to the background questions at the end of the survey. If staff positions are modified, they need to be crosswalked back to the original survey categories before submitting data.
- Do not reorder core survey items.
- Do not omit or delete core survey items. Only background questions at the end can be removed.
- Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings (re-lettering as needed), and instructions in the survey.
- Do not insert new items or supplemental items within the core survey—they should only be added toward the end of the survey, right before the background questions at the end. (Section H).
*Note: Core survey items are the survey items in Sections A-G. The core does not include the staff positions and hours per week in the background section at the end of the survey.
To determine whether a survey is acceptable for submission to the SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Database prior to survey administration, email a copy of the survey to DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com for review.
Definition of an Ambulatory Surgery Center
Eligible ASCs meet the following requirements:
- CMS-certified and approved ASCs with a valid CMS Certification Number (CCN) (go to the CMS Web site for more information.
- ASCs that operate exclusively to provide surgical/procedural services to patients that do not require hospitalization (except in unusual circumstances).
- ASCs that do not share space with a hospital or hospital outpatient surgery department.
- Each ASC site or location should be identified as a separate site when submitting to the database.
How to participate:
- Email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com with your complete contact information and "Ambulatory Surgery Center Database Submission" in the subject line. Database staff will send registration information to you to complete. This information, along with a copy of the survey(s) administered, will be reviewed to determine your eligibility.
- Provide the following data elements:
- Provide ASC characteristics such as primary ownership, size, specialty, and region. Follow these specifications (PDF, 235.7 KB) to gather ASC characteristics.
- A copy of the survey(s) actually administered for review and approval.
- Signed Data Use Agreement (PDF, 331 KB), which assures ASCs about the confidentiality of their data and explains how their data will be used.
- Respondent-level survey data following the appropriate data file specifications for each ASC site. Each ASC, including those from a system, is considered a separate ASC for submission purposes and must be submitted with a unique site identification number.
- SOPS Ambulatory Surgery Center Data File Specifications (PDF, 206 KB).
For free technical assistance and support, email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com or call 1-888-324-9790.