The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Health Plan Survey Database receives data voluntarily submitted by survey users that have administered the CAHPS Health Plan Survey. The CAHPS Database aggregates the data to facilitate comparisons of CAHPS survey results by users, researchers, and other interested organizations.
This Chartbook presents summary-level results submitted in 2017 for the CAHPS Health Plan Survey 5.0 version for the following health plan enrollee populations:
- Adult Medicaid
- Child Medicaid
- CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program)
- Medicare Managed Care
Results for the core survey composites, individual question items, and ratings are presented in the form of bar charts. In addition, selected trend results for 10 years during the period from 2007–2017 are presented for the Adult and Child Medicaid and Medicare populations. (Note that no results are available for 2012 because of a lapse in the support contract for the CAHPS Database.) CHIP results are presented for six years.
Comparisons by Population
Table 1 presents a comparison of top-box scores (the most positive survey response option) for the composites and ratings across the four health plan enrollee populations included in the 2017 CAHPS Health Plan Survey Database.
|Composite/Rating||Adult Medicaid||Child Medicaid||CHIP||Medicare|
|Getting Needed Care||55%||61%||62%||63%|
|Getting Care Quickly||59%||73%||74%||69%|
|How Well Doctors Communicate||74%||78%||79%||79%|
|Health Plan Information and Customer Service||68%||67%||66%||73%|
|Rating of Personal Doctor||65%||75%||76%||78%|
|Rating of Specialist||66%||72%||72%||74%|
|Rating of Health Care||54%||68%||69%||62%|
|Rating of Health Plan||58%||69%||69%||62%|
Highlights from Table 1 include the following:
- The highest scoring composite across all populations is How Well Doctors Communicate. The lowest scoring composite is Getting Needed Care.
- The highest scoring rating is:
- Personal Doctor for the Child Medicaid, CHIP, and Medicare populations.
- Specialist for the Adult Medicaid population
- The lowest scoring overall rating is:
- Health Care for the Adult and Child Medicaid populations
- Health Care and Health Plan for the CHIP and Medicare populations,
- Scores for the Child Medicaid and CHIP populations are higher than those for the Adult Medicaid population for all composites and ratings except for the Health Plan Information and Customer Service composite.
- Scores for the Medicare population are higher than those for the other populations for the Getting Needed Care composite and the Health Plan Information and Customer Service composite and the ratings for Personal Doctor and Specialist.
Comparisons Over Time
As shown in the trend graphs following the results presented for each enrollee population, there has been a steady improvement in scores for most composites and ratings across each population for the years available for reporting.
About the CAHPS Database
The summary results presented in this Chartbook are compiled from data reported in the CAHPS Database Online Reporting System (ORS).
De-identified research files for the CAHPS Health Plan Survey data presented in this Chartbook, as well as from the 2000–2016 CAHPS Health Plan Databases, are available upon request according to the CAHPS Database Data Release Policy. (Learn more.)
The CAHPS Health Plan Database Online Reporting System (ORS) is updated annually with new data submitted by CAHPS Health Plan survey users. Questions or comments regarding this Chartbook or any aspect of the CAHPS Health Plan Survey Database may be directed to the CAHPS Database toll-free help line at 888-808-7108 or by email to CAHPSDatabase@westat.com.